Home
Surname List
Name Index
Sources
Email Us

The Descendants of Derick Versteghe

 

Photo


This is where it all began "de hofstede De Steeg" farmhouse "De Steeg" Oude Garderenseweg 17 in Stroe.
Het begon allemaal hier in de hofstede "De Steeg" Oude Garderenseweg 17 te Stroe.13

Table of Contents

Gerrit Dericksz, 1532-1572 and Johan Gerritsz, 1518-1570 the leading characters of the Dutch Reformed Church.

The Preacher-Clergyman family, the precursors of Protestantism in the "Veluwe"

 

Both Johan and Gerrit, cousins of each other, lost their father at an early age, they where both brought up by Johan Diericksz, 1470-1554, their grandfather.
Johan Gerritsz studied theology in Harderwijk, Deventer, Amersfoort and entered the monastery in Leuven where he was ordained. He became in 1544 Priest in the Church of Garderen, what is a few Kilometers from Stroe were he was born. He did not called himself Pastor but Preacher. He also preached the "new teachings". In 1547 was the inquisition introduced, were Johan was one of the first victims. He was arrested the 1st of January 1550 and was sentenced to live imprisonment. With intervention of Ladyship Maria and his grandfather was Johan released with a bail of 400 guilders and an order to return to Leuven for three years to study the "Papal theology". Gerrit also studied theology in Deventer but when his cousin John was relrased from prison both flied to Germany. It is there were Johan wrote the book "Der Leken wechwijser" wich was published in 1554 which contains the begin of the Dutch Reformed principles. It was reprinted in 1906 and in 1912 inside the Dutch Reformed Church in Garderen a monument in his honour. .14

 

Photo

 

Beide Johan en Gerrit, neven van elkaar, verloren hun vader op jonge leeftijd en zijn beide op gebracht bij hun grootvader Johan Diericksz, 1470-1554.
Johan Gerritsz studeerde voor geestelijke in Harderwijk, Deventer, Amersfoort en in Leuven waar hij het klooster in ging en later aldaar tot priester werd gewijd. Eerst kapelaan en al in 1544 pastoor te Garderen, vlak bij Stroe waar hij was geboren. Hij noemde zichzelf geen "pastoor" maar "prediker". Hij werd aanhanger van de "nieuwe leer" en dit kwam in zijn preken tot uiting. In 1547 werd de inquisitie ingevoerd en Johan was een van de eerste slachtoffers. Johan werd op 1 januari 1550 gevangen genomen en veroordeelt tot levenslange gevangenisstraf. Door tussenkomst van landvoogdes Maria en zijn grootvader werd hij met pinksteren 1553 toch losgelaten met een borgsom van 400 gulden en beval hem binnen veertien dagen zich te melden in Leuven voor een driejarige studie in de "pauselicke theology". Gerrit studeerde ook voor priester in Deventer maar toen zijn neef Johan was vrijgelaten vlugte hij met zijn neef Johan naar Duitsland. Hier heeft Johan het boek "Der Leken wechwijser" geschreven wat werd uitgegeven in 1554 en was een belijdenis van zijn onverzwakte trouw aan de gereformeerde beginselen. In 1906 verscheen er een herdruk en in 1912 was in de Hervormde kerk te Ganderen ter zijner ere een marmeren gedenkteken onthuld..14

Versteegh's family crest and house

"'t Hoge Huis" ( High House )

 

 

This is the story of "High House".



Since the trading between Germany's Ruhr-area and the Dutch west-coast flourished, was the country estate " 't Hoge Huis" High House built in 1550 overlooking the river "Rijn".
The original owner housed there travelers and family.
Somewhere in the year sixteen-hundred the family Versteegh bought the estate and one of there desendants, Pieter Janz Versteegh was born there on the 24th of April 1692
His great-grand-child Geertruida Versteegh lived there and was called "miesje van 't hoge huis" girl from the high house,
she married the 25th of April 1878 with Cornelis van Klinkenberg.
She beared on the 24th of July 1881 a child called Geertruida Maria, she died three weeks later on complications.
Geertruida Maria van Klinkenberg married Frederik Cornelis van Os on the 27th of September 1906.
Until 1959 the estate was owned by heiress of the family Versteegh. 15

 

High House was demolished in 1959 but the gazebo was still there when we made those pictures in 1989.
On the shutters of the house and the gazebo as showing in the picture of the gazebo and the drawing of the house, by Frans Roks, in 1934.

 



On the door side of the gazebo were the lettering 1616 and on the back 1928, we may assume that 1616 was the date Versteegh
purchased High house and 1928 is the date that they built the gazebo.
The gazebo was desmolished in 2003.


Omdat de handel tussen het Duitse Ruhrgebied en de westelijke handelssteden van Nederland vooruit ging werd er
in 1550 langs de Rijn in Elst, voormalig Amerongen, 't Hoge Huis gebouwd, waar de eerste eigenaar het gebruikte als Herberg.
In de jaren 1600 kocht de familie Versteegh het Herenhuis en een van hun nakomelingen Pieter Janz Versteegh was daar
geboren op 24 april 1692.
Zijn achterkleinkind Geertruida Versteegh woonde daar en was "meisje van 't hoge huis" genoemd.
Zij trouwde op 25 april 1878 met Cornelis van Klinkenberg ook geboren in de toendertijd Amerongen.
Zij baarde op 24 juli 1881 een meisje Geertruida Maria genoemd maar overleed drie weken later.
Geertruida Maria Klinkenberg trouwde met Frederik Cornelis van Os op 27 september 1906.
Tot aan 1959 zijn de erven van de familie Versteegh eigenaar van 't Hoge Huis gebleven.
Op de luiken van het huis en het theehuisje staat het familiewapen van de familie Versteegh, zoals je dat kunt zien
op de foto van het theehuisje en de pentekening van 't Hoge Huis, bij Frans Roks, in 1934..15

 

Bij de deuren stonden de letters 1616 en aan de achterkant 1928.
't Hoge Huis was in 1959 afgebroken maar het theehuisje stond er nog in 1989 toen wij deze video maakte.
Het theehuisje werd afgebroken in 2003.



 

This is the family crest of Pieter Jansz Versteegh on one of the shutters of their gazebo.
Dit is het familiewapen van Pieter Jansz Versteegh op een van de luiken van het theehuisje.

Contact Information

Christopher D Angenent
365 Carpenter Point Road
Wolfe Island, Ontario
Canada
1-613-385-1275


Created 6 April 2010 with RootsMagic 1.0